Australia Skilled Worker Visa Requirements 2023 – Do you have any skills and expertise and want to use them in Australia? Then you have to consider yourself eligible for the Australia Skilled Worker visa Subclass 189. This visa is a whole package and allows the visa holders to study, live, and work in Australia, unlike other visas that only allow individuals to stay or study or stay or work. Some post-study-work visas are also available, but our focus will be Australian skilled worker visas.
So, if you follow all the terms and conditions of the visa, you can stay in Australia as long as you want, keeping Australia’s laws in mind. The subclass 189 visa program is available for overseas workers and New Zealand citizens. The citizens of New Zealand can apply for this visa who have worked and lived in Australia for many years.
There are two main streams within the Australia Skilled Independent visa program. Today, we will explain all of it and other related details. So, you must read the article completely to get a clear idea about the Subclass 189 visa process and requirements.
Australia Skilled Worker Visa 2023 Details.
- Country: Australia
- Type: Skilled Worker visa
- Category: Subclass 189
Also, Check: Norway Work Visa Process 2023
Also, Check Malaysia Work Visa Process 2023
Streams of Skilled Independent Worker Visa 2023.
The two main streams of Australia Skilled Independent Worker visa are as follows;
- POINTS-TESTED STREAM – The point-tested stream does not require you to have a sponsor, nor do you need to be nominated, but you must be invited to apply for this type of visa. There is a point requirement in this visa, which you must pass so anyone can invite, which is 65 points.
- NEW ZEALAND STREAM – the citizens of New Zealand who have lived for several years (5 or more) in Australia and have had a special visa 444 can apply for this type of visa.
Documents Required for Australia Skilled Worker Visa
There are a few supporting documents that you must submit during the process of applying for an Australia Skilled Worker Visa, such as;
- A copy of passport pages
- Your details
- National Identity Card
- Expression of interest
- Character documents (form 80)
- Proof of English language proficiency (not required for New Zealand)
- Skill assessment documents
- Proof of name change documents
- Form 956
- Form 956a
- Residence documents (applicable for New Zealand only)
- Income documentation (applicable for New Zealand only)
For the Spouse of the Partner:
- Marriage certificate (if available)
- Divorce documents (if available)
- Evidence of registered relationship
- The functional level of the English Language Documents
For Dependent Children under 18:
- Identity documents
- Birth certificates
- Family book with parent’s names
- Statutory Declaration
- Parental consent form 1229
For dependent children over 18:
- Proof of their dependency on you
- Form 47a
- Proof of functional English proficiency (only applicable for point-tested stream)
Australia Skilled Worker Visa Requirements 2023
The eligibility criteria are simple; once you fulfil the criteria, you can apply for the Australia Skilled Worker Visa subclass 189, such as;
For overseas applicants:
- All applicants must have the invitation to apply for the visa.
- All applicants must be under 45 years of age.
- All applicants must possess a positive skill evaluation.
- All applicants must have at least 65 points.
For New Zealand Applicants:
- Applicants must have had a special subclass visa 444.
- Applicants must have lived for at least five years in Australia.
- Applicants must have earned a minimum amount of income threshold.
How to calculate points?
You can calculate your points for the points stream visa on the following link;
Australia Skilled Worker Visa Application Process
The following steps will take you through the application process for Australia Skilled Worker Visa subclass 189, such as;
- Submit an expression of interest for the points tested stream visa via SkillSelect.
- Meet all the requirements of points (you can calculate through Points Calculator for Australia Visa).
- After submitting EOI, you will wait for an invitation to apply for the visa.
- Apply for the visa by logging in to your SkillSelect account, selecting the option of “apply for visa”, and you will be redirected to ImmiAccount, where you can submit your application.
Australia Skilled Worker Visa Processing time
The 189 skilled worker visa has two streams, and both take their own time to process that is as follows;
- AUSTRALIA VISA POINTS TESTED STREAM – 15-25 MONTHS.
- AUSTRALIA VISA NEW ZEALAND STREAM – 14-17 MONTHS.
Australia Skilled Worker Visa Cost
The Australia Skilled Worker Visa subclass 189 charges an application fee of AUD 115. However, those who cannot prove their functional level in the English Language will pay a second instalment of AUD 4,890 for the additional applicants.
Skilled Occupation list for Australia Skilled Worker Visa
You can find if you meet the requirement of the skilled worker visa on the following list, which will determine your qualification for a subclass 189 visa.
Related Post: Australia Skilled Nominated Visa 2023
Some common questions:
What is the validity of an Australian skilled worker visa?
You can stay indefinitely in Australia as this is a permanent visa. You can also apply for citizenship after meeting the eligibility criteria after a few years of stay.
Can I bring my dependents and family members?
Yes, you can bring your family members and dependents with you to Australia.